The Committee 2016
The St George Art Society Committee is dedicated to developing and maintaining interesting and creative art experiences for the Society’s members.
|President||Jean Harrow (Administration; emails; Annual Art Show Coordinator)|
|Vice-President||Don Kibble (Plein Air Group Convenor)|
|Hon. Vice-President||Myrle King|
|Treasurer & Membership||Jim West (Co-Kreate Coordinator)|
|General Committee||George Comino (Life drawing model bookings; catering)
Salwa Woodroffe (Publicity & promotion; Critics & Demonstrator bookings)
|Public Officer||Emil Dan|
Phil McKay (Web maintenance)
In the beginning
The St George Art Society was inaugurated in 1944 ‘for the encouragement of art in the St George district’, to develop the practice of art and art appreciation.
The founder and first President was Alf Chambers. The first vice-Presidents were the Rt. Hon. H.V. Evatt; W. Currey VC, MLA; J.F. McGrath MLA and A.J. Williams MLA. At that time, the Society’s formation members knew of no other similar body in the State of New South Wales.
In the early years, membership was restricted and selective. Prospective male -only members were required to submit at least two paintings to be judged by a membership selection committee. Nowadays, membership of the Society is open to all artists and to anyone interested in art. The Society is now more inclusive and innovative in its approach to membership as well as the practice of art. One of the founding lady members was Nancy Wilkinson, after whom our contemporary award is named. Nancy lives on the south coast of New South Wales and still keeps in touch. Our longest serving member today is Myrle King, who achieved her 90th birthday in 2014 and continues to maintain her interest.
Our Meeting Places
The first meeting place in 1944 was 307, Forest Road, Hurstville. This rent was free due to the generosity of our Patron, The Hon. Clive Evatt. Fees were 10 shillings and sixpence.
In August 1945 the Society took over the rental of Diment’s Building in Hurstville, due to increased membership. In 1947 the society moved once again to larger premises in the Child Care Premises Hurstville. There have been a succession of moves, from the Children’s Library, Cross Street, Hurstville (now Westfields); then to Wal Chandler’s Barber Shop in Hudson Street, Hurstville; the Kogarah School of Arts; the Scout Hall, South Hurstville, the Civic Centre Kogarah; the South Hurstville Bowling Club and finally, for a second time, to our current location at the Kogarah School of Arts.
|2014 - Current||Jean Harrow|
|1999 - 2000||Leeka Gruzdeff|
|1995 - 1998||Charles Kooyman|
|1980 - 1995||John Hingerty|
|1978 - 1979||Ronald Walker|
|1976 - 1977||Joe Green|
|1973 - 1974||Bruce Hodge|
|1970 - 1972||Vern Newman|
|1967 - 1969||Not documented|
|1951 - 1966||Walter Bennet|
|1944 - 1950||Alf Chambers|